The touch bar replaces the function keys we’re so used to with a multicolored strip. If you’ve activated the touch bar on your Macbook Pro, the touch bar light will come on, but when it flickers uncontrollably, it suggests an issue.
The flickering touch bar is one reason most users don’t appreciate the new feature from Apple. Luckily, it doesn’t take much to fix it. Read on to learn the causes and solutions for the MacBook Pro touch bar glitch.
My MacBook Pro Touch Bar Is Flickering: Is This Normal?
Apple MacBook Pro touchpad flickering is an issue most Mac users occasionally face, which isn’t normal. If you are experiencing it too, you don’t need to worry because it’s something you can fix without much stress unless it’s gotten more complicated than that. You must understand that touchpad flickering happens when
- The touch bar is inactive.
- You are in safe mode.
- You are resetting SMC or NVRAM, and this does not work most of the time.
Touchpad flickering happens randomly. It does not happen on your login screen before you enter your password; most of the time, reinstalling macOS does not help.
Flickering is a hardware issue. If your guarantee period has expired, you will most likely pay to repair it.
Causes Of MacBook Pro Touch Bar Light Flickering
The flickering occurs due to reasons like:
- Loose cable connection
- Outdated macOS
- Issues with touch bar LCD
- NVRAM and SMC malfunction
Now let’s briefly see what you can do to avoid such annoyance!
1. Loose Cable Connection
One of the persistent causes of touch bar light flickering on Macs is a loose cable connection or hardware issues. If you notice any faulty connections in the hardware, it may trigger the touch bar to flicker.
That’s why you must ensure that all cables and connectors are in the right place for the proper connection. Make sure you secure all connections.
2. Issues With The LCD Screen
You need to check your LCD screen if you are experiencing issues with the touch bar flickering light flickering. You should check your Mac software to see if the connection with the LCD screen is properly in place. You will have to fix the problem by reinstalling macOS or resetting it.
3. Physical Damage On The Macbook Screen
If you drop your Mac from a height or drop heavy or sharp objects on the Mac screen, it may cause the touch bar to flicker.
4. Liquid Spilling On The Keyboard
Spilling liquids like water on the keyboard may go straight to the battery and cause a malfunction, such as a touch bar flickering.
5. Software Issue
Other possible causes of the touch bar flickering on your MacBook are software issues that directly impact the functionality of your touch bar and laptop screen.
How To Fix The Flickering Problems On The Touch Bar Of Macbook Pro?
To fix the MacBook Pro Touch bar, disconnect all the external devices connected to your MacBook Pro, including the power adapter and external keyboard. Then reset your MacBook Pro using the Command + R keys together.
There are different reasons your touch bar light flickers and different ways to fix it. Here’s how to fix the touch bar glitch on your MacBook.
1. Reset Your Mac
If the touch bar flickering has to do with software, resetting your Mac will be the first step to fixing it. How do you do it? Hold down the command and R keys while booting; this will direct you to recovery mode. Then you will see options to reset your computer or reinstall macOS.
2. Reinstall macOS
You will have to reinstall macOS if, after you have reset your laptop, the problem persists. To reinstall macOS, open your app store, click on the “Downloads” column and select the “Reinstall macOS” option.
3. Refresh Touch Bar
To refresh the touch bar, go to Activity Monitor on your MacBook Pro, search “TouchBar Server,” and click on the “X” in the top left to quit that page. In addition, quit the “control strip.”
4. NVRAM And SMC
You can also fix and troubleshoot the issue by resetting your NVRAM and SMC. To reset the NVRAM;
- Switch off your MacBook, long press command + option + P + R.
- After your Mac laptop has come back on, you can now release these keys.
Follow this simple guide to reset your SMC
- Switch off your MacBook
- Hold down the control, option, and shift keys
- Press the power button for about 8 seconds and then release the other keys. Do not release any of the buttons.
- Long press the buttons for 7 seconds.
- Release the power button and press it again to switch on your laptop.
5. Professional Repair
If the above steps don’t fix the issue, it’s best to take your MacBook Pro to an authorized Apple service provider for diagnosis and repair. A certified technician can diagnose the problem and suggest appropriate solutions
Does The Apple Warranty Cover The Flickering Touch Bar Fix?
If you use your MacBook to Apple’s user manual and the touch bar still flickers within the warranty period, then Apple will take responsibility for the malfunction. However, if your laptop fell, or you poured liquid on it and other self-caused damages, Apple won’t take responsibility.
Does Touch Bar Flickering Drain My Battery?
An issue of touch bar flickering may be due to software or hardware malfunction, which has to do with connections. In short, your Mac tends to use more power and the battery faster when the touch bar flickers.
Can I Replace The MacBook Touch Bar?
You can replace your MacBook touch bar, and the replacement cost is determined by several factors, such as the MacBook you are using, the year of the laptop, and when you purchased it.
How Much Does It Cost to Fix Mac Book Touchbar?
The cost to fix a MacBook Touch Bar can range from around $99 for a software issue to over $500 for a major hardware repair. It’s best to take the MacBook to an authorized Apple service provider or an Apple Store for a diagnosis and repair estimate.
In general, it’s always a good idea to invest in AppleCare+ or another extended warranty to help cover the cost of potential repairs.
How Do I Restore The Touch Bar On My MacBook Pro?
You can restore the touch bar on your MacBook Pro through the Activity Monitor, which Apple describes as a task manager that allows you to see how apps affect your laptop.
- Type “Activity Monitor” in the Spotlight.
- Open the app, find the touch bar agent, and click on it.
- Find the “x” button in the upper left corner and click on “quit.”
- If the issue persists, restart the control strip through the Activity Monitor.
- Open the Activity Monitor app, select the Control Strip, find the “x” button, click on it, then click on “quit.”
Is There A Touch Bar On New MacBook Pro?
There is no Touch Bar on the new MacBook Pro models released in 2023. However, the MacBook Pro models released in late 2022 and early 2023 may still include the Touch Bar feature.
Why do people not like the Touchbar on Mac?
There are several reasons why some people do not like the Touch Bar on Mac:
- Lack of Functionality: Some users find the Touch Bar to be less useful than traditional function keys as it may not offer all the functions they need.
- Limited Customization: The Touch Bar cannot be customized to display specific shortcuts or functions, which may limit its usefulness for some users.
- Reliability Issues: Some users have reported issues with the reliability of the Touch Bar, including unresponsiveness or malfunctioning.
- Cost: The inclusion of the Touch Bar has increased the cost of the MacBook Pro, which may be a concern for some users.
- Learning Curve: The Touch Bar requires a learning curve for users to become familiar with its functions and shortcuts, which may not be appealing to some users.
Overall, opinions on the Touch Bar are subjective and depend on individual preferences and usage habits. Some users find it to be a useful addition to their MacBook Pro, while others prefer the traditional function keys.
My Thoughts On The MacBook Pro Touch Bar
The Touch Bar is one of the cool features of the new MacBook Pro, but when it isn’t working correctly, it can quickly sour the experience. By now, you know how to avoid such issues, so thrive with your MacBook without ever facing the same issues!