When purchasing smartphones, you may see words like “renewed,” “pre-owned,” or “reconditioned” on different eCommerce buying pages. But exactly, what is a renewed phone mean?
A “renewed” phone is a term used to describe a device that has been repaired and restored to like-new condition. Usually, this means the phone has been completely disassembled, all damaged or defective parts have been replaced, and it has been thoroughly cleaned and tested.
In this blog post, I will explain the difference between renewed, new, and used phones and help you decide which type is best for you. Keep reading to learn more!
What Is A Renewed Phone?
A renewed phone is a pre-owned phone that has been inspected, tested, and certified by a manufacturer or third-party refurbisher to look and work like new. Renewed phones typically come with a warranty, just like new phones.
You can find renewed phones from major carriers, manufacturers, and retailers like Amazon and Best Buy.
When you buy a renewed phone, it’s essential to check the fine print to see what, if any, warranties are included. For example, some retailers may offer a 90-day warranty, while others may offer a 1-year warranty.
When you’re looking for a great deal on the phone, buying a renewed phone can be a great option. Just be sure to do your research and buy from a reputable source.
Price Comparison Table: Amazon Renewed Phone Vs New Phone
|Phone Model||Condition||Price Range (Renewed)||Price Range (New)|
|Samsung Galaxy S21||Renewed||$569 – $799||$799 – $849|
|Samsung Galaxy S20||Renewed||$389 – $599||$799 – $999|
|iPhone 12||Renewed||$599 – $699||$799 – $999|
|iPhone 13||Renewed||$869 – $999||$999 – $1,099|
|iPhone X||Renewed||$259 – $349||$599 – $899|
|iPhone 11||Renewed||$419 – $579||$599 – $699|
|Samsung Galaxy S21+||Renewed||$699 – $899||$999 – $1,049|
Are Renewed Phones Same As Refurbished Phones?
There is a lot of confusion regarding the difference between renewed and refurbished phones. To help clear things up, let’s look at each term’s definition.
Renewed phones are those that have been returned by the customer and then gone through a rigorous inspection process by the manufacturer. Once they have passed this inspection, they are essentially like new phones.
On the other hand, refurbished phones have been used and then returned to the manufacturer. The manufacturer will then inspect the phone and make any necessary repairs. Once the phone is repaired, it is sold as a refurbished model.
So, which is better? It depends on your needs and budget. If you’re looking for a phone that is essentially new but doesn’t come with the same price tag, a renewed phone would be a good option.
Key Features Of A Renewed Phone
Renewed phones have been owned before but have been refurbished to like-new condition. Here are some key features to look for in a renewed phone:
- GSM/LTE Unlocked: The phone will work with any carrier in the US and internationally.
- Tested for Battery Health: A renewed phone should have been tested to ensure its battery is still in good health. This is important because a bad battery can cause all sorts of problems, including the premature death of the phone.
- Like-New Condition: A renewed phone should look and feel brand new. There should be no scratches, dents, or other signs of wear and tear.
- Warranty: A good warranty is important for any phone, but it is essential for a renewed phone. This is because you want to ensure that you will be covered if anything goes wrong.
When you are looking for a renewed phone, be sure to keep these key features in mind. By doing so, you can be sure that you are getting a quality phone that will serve you well for many years.
Why Should You Go For Renewed Smartphones?
This is where renewed smartphones come into the picture. Renewed smartphones are only pre-owned ones that have been refurbished to look and function like new devices.
Here are a few reasons why you should opt for renewed smartphones instead of buying new ones:
You Can Save A Lot Of Money
Renewed smartphones are often cheaper than brand-new models, so they can help you save money. You can find renewed smartphones from various manufacturers, so you’re sure to find one that meets your needs.
You Can Get The Same Features And Performance
Renewed smartphones offer the same features and performance as new ones. So, you don’t have to compromise on anything by opting for a renewed device.
You Can Help The Environment
You can do your bit for the environment by opting for a renewed smartphone. This is because renewing smartphones requires far fewer resources than manufacturing new ones.
Comes With Warranty
Renewed smartphones typically come with a warranty, so you can have peace of mind knowing that your purchase is protected. Renewed smartphones often have the same features as brand-new models, so you won’t be sacrificing anything by choosing a renewed phone.
So, these are a few reasons why you should opt for renewed smartphones instead of buying new ones.
Are Amazon Renewed Phone Good?
Amazon Renewed is a program that sells certified refurbished phones, laptops, and other electronics. Products sold through Amazon Renewed are tested and certified by qualified suppliers to work and look new, with limited to no signs of wear. All Renewed products come with the same warranty as new products sold on Amazon.
So, are Amazon Renewed phones good? The short answer is: yes, Amazon Renewed phones are good. The longer answer is whether an Amazon Renewed phone is right for you, depending on your needs and preferences.
Is There Any Grading For Renewed Phones And What?
Renewed phones generally come in two different types of grading:
- “like new” condition
- “good” condition
“Like new” condition means that the phone looks and functions just like a brand-new phone. It will have no scratches or dents, and all features will work properly.
“Good” condition means that the phone may have minor scratches or dents, but it will still function properly.
Both types of renewed phones undergo a rigorous inspection process to ensure that they meet the standards set by the manufacturer. So, you can be confident that you’re getting a high-quality phone when you purchase a renewed phone.
Refurbished phones can be categorized into several grades based on their condition:
- Grade A refurbished phones are typically in excellent condition with little or no signs of wear and tear. They may have been returned by a customer for various reasons, such as a change of mind or a minor defect, but have been fully tested, repaired, and restored to their original condition.
- Grade B refurbished phones may have some minor cosmetic damage or signs of wear and tear, but are fully functional and have been tested to ensure they meet the manufacturer’s standards.
- Grade C refurbished phones may have more noticeable signs of wear and tear and may require some repairs or replacement parts to bring them up to the manufacturer’s standards. They are typically sold at a lower price than Grade A or B phones.
It’s important to note that grading standards may vary between different sellers or manufacturers, and there may be additional grades or sub-grades used to describe refurbished phones.
When buying a refurbished phone, it’s important to check the product description carefully and ask the seller about the phone’s condition and grading. Be sure to also check the warranty and return policy to ensure you’re protected in case the phone doesn’t meet your expectations or has any defects.
Who Certifies The Renewed Phones?
Apple and Samsung are the only two companies that certify their own renewed phones. Other phone manufacturers use independent certification services.
The main difference between certified and uncertified renewed phones is the warranty. Certified renewed phones come with a limited warranty, while uncertified ones do not. Certified renewed phones are also typically cheaper than their uncertified counterparts.
Renewed phones from Apple and Samsung have gone through a rigorous inspection and refurbishment process conducted by the manufacturer.
Other phone manufacturers rely on independent certification services to inspect and refurbish their renewed phones.
Things To Consider When Buying Renewed Phones?
When it comes to buying a renewed phone, there are a few things you need to take into consideration. Here are four essential factors to keep in mind:
Ensure the renewed phone you’re considering comes with a warranty. This will protect you in case the phone has any defects or problems.
Refurbished or Used
There’s a difference between buying a renewed phone that’s been refurbished and one that’s used. Refurbished phones have been cleaned, tested, and repaired to like-new condition, while used phones may not have undergone the same level of inspection.
Renewed phones are typically much cheaper than buying a brand-new device, but prices can still vary greatly. Make sure to compare prices from different sellers before making a purchase.
When buying a renewed phone, you want to ensure it’s in good condition. Check for any physical damage, such as cracks in the screen, and make sure all the buttons and features are working correctly.
By keeping these four factors in mind, you’ll be able to find the best-renewed phone to suit your needs and budget.
Used Phone Vs. Renewed Phone: What’s The Difference?
When you’re in the market for a new phone, you have a few different options available to you. You can buy a brand-new phone, a used one, or a renewed one. So, what’s the difference between these three options?
- A used phone is precisely what it sounds like – a phone previously owned and used by someone else.
- Used phones are typically much cheaper than brand-new phones, but they may not come with all of the features and bells and whistles that a new phone would have.
- Additionally, a warranty may not cover used phones, so if something goes wrong with the phone, you’ll be responsible for the repairs.
- A renewed phone is a used phone that has been refurbished.
- This means that the phone has been cleaned, inspected, and fixed up so that it’s new again. Renewed phones typically come with a warranty, so if something goes wrong with the phone, you’ll be covered.
- Renewed phones are typically more expensive than used ones, but they’re still cheaper than buying a new one.
So, which option is right for you? If you’re looking for a cheap phone that you can use for basic tasks, a used phone may be a good option. However, if you want a new phone without a brand-new price tag, a renewed one may be a better option.
Best Places To Buy Refurbished Smartphones
There are a lot of great places to buy refurbished smartphones. Here are some of the best:
Amazon Renewed is an excellent option for buying refurbished smartphones. They have a wide selection of phones from various brands and offer a 90-day warranty on all of their phones.
eBay can be a good option for buying refurbished smartphones, but it’s important to take certain precautions to ensure you get a quality product:
- Check the seller’s reputation: Look for sellers with high ratings and positive reviews from previous buyers. Be wary of sellers with low ratings or negative feedback.
- Read the product description carefully: Make sure to read the product description and specifications carefully to ensure that the phone meets your needs and is compatible with your carrier and network.
- Check the phone’s condition: Look for photos of the phone to assess its condition. Ask the seller for more photos if necessary. Be sure to check for any signs of wear and tear, and ensure that the phone’s features are in working order.
- Verify the warranty: Check to see if the refurbished phone comes with a warranty or guarantee. A warranty can protect you against any defects or issues with the phone.
- Compare prices: Compare the price of the refurbished phone to the price of a new phone to ensure that you’re getting a good deal.
- Check the return policy: Make sure to check the seller’s return policy in case the refurbished phone doesn’t meet your expectations or has any defects.
Swappa is an excellent option if you’re looking for a specific phone. They have a wide selection of phones from various brands, and you can often find great deals on phones that individual sellers are selling.
Glyde is another excellent option for buying refurbished smartphones. They have a wide selection of phones and offer a 90-day warranty on all of them.
Best Buy is an excellent option for buying refurbished smartphones. They have a wide selection of phones and offer a 90-day warranty on all of them.
These are just a few of the great places to buy refurbished smartphones. If you’re looking for a great deal on the phone, you should check out one of these options.
More Questions And Answers
1. What Is The Difference Between A Renewed Phone And A New Phone?
A renewed phone, also known as a refurbished phone, is a pre-owned phone that has been repaired or restored to its original condition. It has been tested and verified to work properly, and any defects or issues have been repaired. A renewed phone may have some signs of wear and tear, but it should function just like a new phone.
A new phone, on the other hand, is a brand new, unused phone that has not been previously owned or used. It comes directly from the manufacturer and is in perfect condition with no signs of wear or damage.
The main difference between a renewed phone and a new phone is that a renewed phone has been previously owned and may have some signs of wear and tear, while a new phone is brand new and in perfect condition. Renewed phones are often less expensive than new phones and can be a good option for those looking to save money. However, it’s important to do your research and ensure that the renewed phone is in good condition and comes with a warranty or guarantee.
2. Do Renewed Phones Have New Batteries?
Not necessarily. When a renewed phone is refurbished, the battery may be checked to ensure that it’s in good condition and functioning properly. If the battery is not working properly, it may be replaced with a new one. However, if the battery is still in good condition, it may not be replaced.
If you’re buying a renewed phone, it’s important to check the product description or ask the seller whether the battery has been replaced or not. Some sellers may include information about the battery in the product description, while others may not. Additionally, some renewed phones may come with a new battery as part of the refurbishment process, while others may not.
If the battery of a renewed phone is not replaced, it may have some wear and tear from previous use. It’s important to check the battery life and ensure that it holds a charge properly before purchasing a renewed phone. If the battery is not functioning properly, you may need to replace it yourself or have it replaced by a professional.
3. Is It Good To Buy Renewed iPhone?
Amazon is the obvious choice when purchasing a new iPhone because of its wide selection of products. All goods for sale in Amazon’s newly relaunched department have been rigorously tested and inspected to ensure their quality.
4. Is Amazon Renewed Used?
In the eyes of Amazon, a “renew” product has been refurbished, pre-owned, or opened-boxed and is of good quality. Even if they have minor physical flaws, such as scratches or dents, pre-owned items are still totally functional, even if they were previously owned by someone else.
5. Do Refurbished Phones Last Long?
Refurbished phones have a limited lifespan. In theory, refurbished phones should last as long as new ones since they have been adequately examined before being resold. For older models, new software upgrades may not be available for as long as for newer models.
6. Why Are Refurbished Phones So Cheap?
Refurbished phones are generally cheaper than new phones because they have been previously owned and may have some signs of wear and tear. When a phone is returned to the manufacturer or retailer, it may be inspected, repaired, and restored to its original condition. These refurbished phones are then sold at a lower price than new phones.
There are several reasons why refurbished phones are cheaper than new phones:
- Pre-owned: Refurbished phones are pre-owned, which means they have already been used and may have some signs of wear and tear. This lowers their resale value and makes them less expensive than new phones.
- Repairs: Refurbished phones may have had some repairs done to them, which reduces their value compared to a new phone.
- Market demand: Refurbished phones may have lower demand in the market compared to new phones, which can result in lower prices.
- Older models: Refurbished phones may be older models that have been replaced by newer models. As a result, they may be less expensive than newer models.
7. Do Refurbished Phones Have 100% Battery Health?
Not necessarily. When a phone is refurbished, the battery is typically checked to ensure that it’s in good condition and functioning properly. If the battery is not working properly, it may be replaced with a new one. However, if the battery is still in good condition, it may not be replaced.
Refurbished phones may have different levels of battery health depending on how much they were used before being refurbished. Some refurbished phones may have a battery health of 100%, meaning that the battery is in excellent condition and can hold a full charge. However, other refurbished phones may have lower battery health, which means that the battery may not hold a charge as well or may need to be replaced soon.
8. What Is The Difference Between Renewed And Renewed Premium?
We went for the Renewed Premium version since Amazon claims that its Renewed devices have no “visible aesthetic defects” when held at arm’s length and a battery capacity surpasses 80% of a new device, so we picked the Premium option to get as near to new as possible.
9. Do refurbished phones have scratches?
Sometimes. If you’re buying a like-new or grade-A refurbished phone from a reputable reseller, it shouldn’t have any scratches on it. Or, if it does, they shouldn’t be noticeable. However, if you’re buying a phone that’s graded B or below, it might well have a scratch or two.
Is Buying Renewed Phones Worthy For The Ecology?
The answer may surprise you- but yes, buying renewed phones is good for the environment! Here’s why:
- Renewed phones use recycled materials, meaning fewer new materials must be mined from the earth. This reduces the environmental impact of phone production significantly.
- These phones also often use less energy to operate, reducing their environmental impact.
- Finally, buying renewed phones supports the circular economy, which is a key part of achieving sustainable development.
- The circular economy is based on reuse, repair, and recycling principles, which help close the resource use loop and reduces waste.
So there you have it- buying renewed phones is not only good for your wallet, but it’s also good for the environment!