The PS4 game console offers great entertainment to its users. Players can stay hours immersed in gaming. But like most gadgets, the hardware components of the device can malfunction.
Suppose your device is getting too hot while in use; it’s a sign of your PS4 fan not working. Turn on the console and listen for the whooshing fan sound to confirm. If you hear none, the fan is not spinning. You will have to clean the blades or replace them.
The PS4 fan is an essential component of the device’s hardware for cooling. If the fan isn’t spinning, your PS4 is at risk of overheating. Read on to learn why the PS4 fan stopped working and how to fix it.
How Do I Know If My PS4 Fan Is Broken?
A working PS4 fan spins when the device is on. If your PS4 is overheating while in use, the fan is not spinning. To check:
- Turn on the PS4.
- Listen for the whooshing fan sound.
- If you hear none, move your fingers around the sides of the PS4 where the air vents are located. If you don’t feel a soft breeze, the fan is broken.
Why Is My PS4 Fan Not Working?
Your PS4 fan is not spinning because it’s broken, or the fan blades are blocked by dust and dirt. The PS4 fan is not standard; it’s a proprietary blower motor. If your fan stops spinning, the blades are stuck. Your PS4 fan can also stop spinning due to damage to the device’s circuitry. Here are 4 reasons your PS4 fans are not responding.
1. Damaged Blower Motor
If your PS4 falls on a hard surface or something hits it, the blower motor gets damaged, and the fan stops spinning. The internal components of the device are delicate. If it falls, the fan will break.
2. Liquid Damage
If liquids such as spilled juice get into the circuitry of your PS4, it’ll make the device malfunction, and the fan may stop working. The PS4 is an electronic device; the internal components are delicate and should be handled with care.
The air vents on the sides of the PS4, PS4 Slim or PS4 Pro are open, so dust and dirt pass through them inside the PS4. If dust covers the fan blades, it can damage them, and they’ll stop spinning.
4. Electrical Damage
If the PS4 short circuits, it’ll malfunction, and the fan will stop spinning. Power surges can also damage the PS4 fans. If the device gets too much electricity than it should, it harms the circuitry, and the thermal sensor ceases to function. The fan won’t spin if the thermal sensor doesn’t send signals to it.
5. Mechanical Failure
The PS4 fan may stop working due to a mechanical failure; you may not know precisely why the fan stopped working. Mechanical failure is common in moving parts, but this rarely happens to PS4 fan blades.
What Happens If My PS4 Fan Stops Spinning?
If the PS4 fan stops spinning, the device will overheat. The function of the fan is to cool the internal components of the PS4, so it doesn’t overheat. Suppose the fan stops working, the device overheats and malfunctions. In severe cases, the circuitry gets damaged.
A broken fan is not the only possible reason the device can overheat. Other causes of overheating in PS4 include blocked vent, faulty hardware, and temperature of the room you placed the device. Make sure the room temperature you’re playing PS4 isn’t higher than 80°F. If it exceeds that, your PS4 will overheat. Ensure the vents are clean and free of dust.
How Do I Fix My PS4 Fan?
If your PS4 fan has stopped spinning, a quick fix is to remove the PS4 case and inspect the fan blades. Use a duster brush to clean them. Replace the case and turn on the device. If you don’t hear the whooshing fan sound, the fan is broken.
The PS4 console is expensive. You shouldn’t risk leaving a broken fan unchecked. When the temperature of its internals rises above the normal, the device will overheat and might cause more significant damage to your device.
Can The Ps4 Fan Be Replaced?
Most times, if the PS4 fan stops spinning, the solution is to replace it with a new one. A new PS4 fan costs about $20, and you can get it on Amazon, but the labor cost will vary depending on the technician. Replacing the PS4 fan is not difficult; you can do it yourself.
How To Replace The PS4 Fan- Step By Step Guide
Replacing a broken fan on the PS4, PS4 Slim, or PS4 Pro is fairly straightforward. Disconnect the device from power and follow these steps:
- Remove the case.
- Disconnect the power supply.
- Disconnect the optical drive.
- Remove the WiFi antenna.
- Remove the damaged fan.
- Replace and reassemble.
If you follow the steps outlined here accurately, you can replace the fan easily.
- Thermal paste
Step 1: Remove The Case
- Turn the backside of the PS4 console.
- Locate the stickers with the inscription “Warranty/Void’.
- Remove the stickers to expose the screws holding the plastic case in place.
- Use a screwdriver to remove the screws.
- Keep the screws in a safe place so you don’t lose them.
Step 2: Disconnect The Power Supply Unit
- Unscrew three Torx screws and 2 Phillips screws using a screwdriver.
- Lift the power supply case off.
- Disconnect the power connector using a tweezer. The power connector is a device consisting of five wires.
Step 3: Disconnect The Optical Drive
- Locate the white ribbon connected to the green circuit board beside the hard drive.
- Thumb down the metal tab and pull the wire.
- Detach the other end of the ribbon from the motherboard.
- Use a pair of tweezers to remove the second cable connecting the optical drive to the motherboard.
Step 4: Remove The Wifi Antenna
- Locate a silver-gray bracket on the front of the PS4.
- Detach the cord from the motherboard.
- Locate the four Torx screws and one Philips screw and unscrew them. Keep the screws in a safe place.
- Lift the WiFi antenna.
- Remove the optical drive.
Step 5: Remove The Hard Drive
- Turn the PS4 right side up.
- Remove the cover on the top.
- Locate the Torx and Phillips screws holding the hard drive and unscrew them.
- Lift the hard drive out and keep it aside.
- You should see a steel panel and remove the 12 Torx and Phillips screws.
- Lift the support bracket and the metal cover. You should see the fan now.
Step 6: Remove The Fan
- Locate the 3-wire plug connecting the fan to the motherboard using a tweezer.
- You’ll see another metal plate with 2 or 3 screws depending on the model.
- Remove the screws to release the fan.
- Place the new fan and reassemble.
Note: Detaching the plug from the motherboard affects the thermal paste that protects the processor. When reassembling, clean off the old paste and reapply a new one.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can My PS4 Work Without A Fan?
Your PS4 console can work without a fan but we won’t advise you to play without one. The fan cools the device, if it’s not there or it’s broken, your PS4 overheats and can damage the motherboard. If your PS4 fan is broken, replace it with a new one as soon as possible.
2. How Can I Force My PS4 To Run Its Fan At Full Speed?
Your PS4 fan will run at low speed if it’s covered by dust or the thermal sensor is not working. To increase the fan to full speed, open and clean the fan blades. If that doesn’t work, connect the fan input wire to the power supply unit and the fan will work at full speed.
3. My PS4 Is Overheating Excessively. How Can I Fix It?
If your PS4 console overheats, it could mean that the fan is broken, the vents are blocked by dust or the game software is outdated. To fix it;
- Clean the vents.
- Reposition the console where there’s enough ventilation.
- replace the damaged fan.
- Update the game software.
4. What Is The Cost Of Fixing My PS4 Fan?
To fix a broken PS4 fan, you’ll have to replace it with a new one. New PS4 fans cost $20 but the replacement cost depends on the labor cost. Labor costs vary because technicians charge differently. You can get a new PS4 fan and follow the steps above to replace it.
5. Can Heat Break a Ps4?
Overheating harms your PS4 in addition to being a pain. Your circuit boards might be damaged by prolonged high-temperature heat. Don’t be too hard on yourself, though; console overheating frequently has an external source.
6. Can I Put My PS4 in The Freezer?
Long story short: it’s plausible that you can, but I wouldent recommend it due to the high chance of condensation from it and any other things you have in the fridge.
7. Is It Ok to Leave a PS4 on Overnight?
You certainly can, by setting the auto-rest function to never in the power settings. Your ps4 have no problem keep running overnight.
If your console develops an issue like the PS4 fan not working, it’s a fault in the hardware, and you can fix it easily. Follow the guide we’ve provided in this article to repair or replace the damaged fan easily.
To fix the fan, clean the blades to ensure it’s dust-free or replace it with a new one if it’s broken. Follow the guide we’ve provided in this article to repair or replace the damaged fan easily.