Your computer becomes powerful by the power of its motherboard. The stronger the motherboard is, the stronger your computer will be. The motherboard is considered to be the most important part of a computer.
While using your computer, you might feel worried about your motherboard’s lifespan. The durability of your motherboard is important to get a good experience, as it is one of the crucial components of a pc.
How long do motherboards last? In short, 4-5 years. A motherboard is capable of lasting at least 4-5 years if there is no physical damage. But the user has a significant impact on the lifespan of a motherboard. Simply, the more you care, the more your motherboard will last.
Keep reading and know about your motherboard’s accurate durability, how to take care of it, and what are the probable reasons for a decreased lifespan for your motherboard.
How long do motherboards last?
A motherboard used to be made in a way that it can last for decades. A motherboard generally lasts for at least 4-5 years. Though this can be predicted, a few more things also work behind the lifespan of a motherboard.
Your motherboard will last for several days or decades; that depends on how you are using that. Rough use and carelessness can make the lifespan of your motherboard shorter. You have to be careful with using your computer for a longer lifespan.
Often hardware failure leads the motherboard components to be damaged. Power supply problems also create problems inside the motherboard. With regular use, your motherboard can last for five years. But if any of the inner damages occur, it can be dead even within a few months.
If you can handle your motherboard with care, then you can make your motherboard last for even longer. So along with the quality and material lifespan also depends on the owner. You have to use it with proper knowledge and clean it eventually to avoid damages.
How long does gaming motherboards last?
Standard motherboards and gaming motherboards have differences between them. The lifespans are also different. A gaming motherboard will last for 2-3 years, while regular motherboards last for 4-5 years.
The main reason behind this comparison is, a gamer uses the motherboard roughly than a regular user. Gaming motherboards carry a lot more pressure than regular motherboards. We use regular motherboards far more smoothly than gaming motherboards.
So usually, a gaming motherboard gets damaged sooner than a standard motherboard. If you use it properly, you can make the gaming motherboard last for 2-3 years. But if you don’t know how to take care of your gaming motherboard, then it can be damaged after using less than a year.
We can see that the durability of any motherboard depends on the user mostly. So no matter if you use a regular motherboard or a gaming one, if you dont know how to use it properly, you will end up damaging it.
How long can I use the motherboard properly?
A motherboard works perfectly, at least for 4-5 years. A motherboard comes with all the essential specifications and features for working for the next five years. Though we can find some motherboards which are capable of lasting for more than 5 years, they can’t be used without any upgrade.
After using 4-5 years, the old specifications and features of the motherboard won’t be able to meet all your needs. You must have to upgrade the components of your motherboard after using it for a certain period to get a perfect service. But it’s not that the motherboard won’t work after five years.
A motherboard will still serve you after five years with its old specifications and features. If you upgrade to your motherboard, then it will be able to serve you for another decade. So we can say a motherboard never gets old enough.
Also, speedy usage, proper care, and regulation in service can make your motherboard more durable. If you properly clean and use it, your motherboard can serve you for decades. But most of the time, the efficiency gets reduced, and so the users do not feel okay with the service after 5 years.
How often should you replace your motherboard?
Today’s world goes a step forward every second. So it’s quite inappropriate to think that a motherboard can last and serve as new after years without having any upgrade. If you want to have a good service then you have to replace the motherboard of your computer after a limited period.
If you want to have the facilities of a new CPU generation, then you have to replace the motherboard after every 6 months. You also should keep a budget for changing the storage and drives. This way, your motherboard will serve you with the best facilities.
There are a few reasons why you should replace your motherboard after a few times. Those are:
- By upgrading the motherboard, your CPU will work faster.
- The RAM of your PC will work better if you upgrade your PC.
- You will find the graphics cards of your PC working better when you will upgrade the motherboard.
- You will be able to transfer data faster if you upgrade the motherboard.
- The damaged parts will be replaced with better and good quality materials if you upgrade the motherboard.
- You will be able to enjoy new features and specifications from your old PC if you upgrade the motherboard.
These specifications are very helpful and enjoyable to have. By upgrading the motherboard, you will be able to make yourself happy with these features and specifications.
Why do motherboards die?
Do you ever think why does the motherboard of your PC die? A few reasons work behind the death of the motherboard. Some of those are:
- Overheating is the most common reason behind the death of the motherboard.
- Often the motherboard dies because of the issues of power supply.
- Defective components also cause the death of the motherboard.
- Bad quality materials also lead the motherboard to death.
- Extreme rough usage can damage the motherboard and eventually make it stop working.
These are a few common reasons why a motherboard dies. Some other reasons, or components failure, voltage issues can also work behind this. But if you keep these things in your mind, then the motherboard of your computer won’t die sooner.
What Are the Signs of a Dying Motherboard?
A dying motherboard can be a sign of more serious problems, so it’s important to take action if you notice any of the following:
- Your computer won’t start or is very slow
- The CPU fan doesn’t turn on or is slow to turn on
- The computer has been frozen for a long time or won’t boot at all
- Water droplets appear on the motherboard (this is a sign of failed capacitors)
- The power light blinks constantly or doesn’t turn off after a few seconds
- The CMOS battery is weak or missing completely
How to make the motherboard more durable?
Though a motherboard at least lasts for 4-5 years, by following some steps, you will be able to make the motherboard of your PC more durable or reliable. While rough usage will make your motherboard die sooner, smooth usage can make your motherboard last for years after years.
You should follow a few ways to make yourself a proper caregiver of the motherboard of your computer. Those are:
- Don’t let your computer overheat.
- The power supply of your computer should be efficient enough. A less effective power supply causes the motherboard to die soon.
- You shouldn’t download something which includes a virus. Viruses can make the motherboard less durable.
- You should buy high-quality components for your computer. Connecting low-quality components with the computer may lead the motherboard to death.
- Don’t let dirt set on the motherboard. Keep your PC neat and clean.
- Try to use exact matches and compatible components on the computer. Otherwise, overloading can hamper your motherboard too.
Frequently asked questions:
1. How long does a motherboard battery last?
It lasts for about five years. But with extra care and smooth usage, you can make it last longer.
2. Can I replace a dead motherboard?
Yes, of course. Every component of your computer can be replaced individually.
3. When should I replace the motherboard?
After using the motherboard for 6 months, you should replace the motherboard. It’s quite easy to know when you should replace your motherboard. Most often, the upgrade is required after 6 months. Because the components of motherboards at least last for 6 months. So you will need to replace the components after 6 months of use.
4. What can ruin a motherboard?
A motherboard can be ruined when it is subjected to extreme temperatures, a power surge, liquid damage, or physical abuse. When these events happen, the motherboard can fail and cause serious problems with your computer. Some of the most common symptoms of a ruined motherboard include:
- Cracked screens
- Non-working devices
- Blue screens of death
If you experience any of these symptoms, it is important to take your computer in for repairs as soon as possible. If your motherboard has been damaged, it may not be able to handle the demands of modern software and hardware. By taking action now, you can prevent major complications down the road.
It doesn’t matter if we have a PC or not; every person is familiar with the fact that the motherboard is the most crucial part of the PC. A PC depends on the motherboard mostly. At that phase, we hope that we have helped you to know properly about the motherboard’s durability.
We have tried to share every information on how long do motherboards last. We have mentioned how you can make it last longer as well. So it’s your turn to make all the information count and make your motherboard healthy.
You can contact your local expert if you face any problems with the motherboard. Also, as all the motherboards come with a good warranty, you can easily replace the existing one. So, good luck with that!